Kamalabari Satra

In this photograph a bhakat (monk) at Kamalabari Satra, Majuli, Assam, India

I'm here to talk about Majuli island which is World's largest river island in North-Eastern state of Assam on the Brahmputra river and the first island district of the country (India). The first time I went to Majuli island was on my two wheeler accompanied by my friend and my cousin brother and the second time where I got more time to be on Majuli island which was with my mother and one of my friend Rituraj and his mother who lives in Jorhat.

These days the tourism sector is promoting North-East in a wider scale which was earlier very less known to the rest of India. I'm glad to know that they have succeeded to such an extent in promoting North-East that it is attracting tourists from other states of India and have seen tourists from abroad visiting our very own Majuli island.

But here I want to state that due to the heavy floods in Assam, every year our very own Majuli island is losing its land mass, which is a fact that can't be denied and the people the tribes living in Majuli island have no idea where they will go, as the island is only home they have known from the beginning. I know you might have heard about very popular Padma Shri Jadav "Molai" Payeng who is a mishing tribe environmental activist and forestry worker from Jorhat. He did something which very less have might even thought of, he over the course of several decades, he planted and tended trees on a sandbar of the river Brahmaputra which has shaped into a forest reserve. He is also know as the Forest Man of India. 

I hope the goverment will also take necessary measures to save this island in near future.

Thank you for taking your time to read this. Hope it has given you some insight about Majuli island and I wish that you will plan to visit Northeast in the near future.

Will again catch you in my next post till then take good care of yourself.


Comments

rupam sarma said…
Brilliant composition.
magiceye said…
Moment captured beautifully!

Popular Posts